Sunday, August 26, 2012

Slow Cooker Sticky Date Pudding


Some time ago I read about this great idea for making your very own cook book.  For some time I have been meaning to get my recipes more organised than the folder of loose pages. So I have started sorting and taking pictures to add to my own book.  I am looking forward to putting it together and having one place for all our favourites.  I will be sure to print a copy for all the boys to take with them when they leave home.

Here is one of our favourites for dinner parties.  I used this one for a ladies night we had at church recently.  It was certainly popular.  Now they can try it themselves.  This one is for you Robyn.



I stumbled across a recipe for slow cooker caramel pudding while blog hopping.  It used raisins and sultanas. After trying it the taste was good but I wasn't so keen on the chunks of fruit. I had a go adapting it using a sticky date recipe that I have.  The result so yum!  As it makes a large 10-12 serving it is a great one for dinner parties and oh so easy to throw together and serve up when ready.
Pin It



Caramel sauce
1L boiling water
3/4 cup sugar
75 grams butter, diced

Pudding
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2-3 tsp mixed spice
1 1/2 cups dates
boiling water
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
50 grams melted butter

Turn the slow cooker on to low to preheat while preparing mix
Stir the water, sugar, and butter together until the sugar has dissoved and the butter melted.  Pour into the pre warmed slow cooker and cover with the lid.

Put dates into a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to soften.

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and mixed spice into a large bowl.  Stir in brown sugar and make a well in the centre.

Mash or blend dates with the water. Pour into the well. Pour the milk into the well and, using a wooden spoon, sitr gradually to form a thick batter, free of flour lumps.  Once all the milk has been added, stir in the butter.

Spoon the batter evenly into the hot sauce and cover with lid.

Cook on high for 1 hour then turn to low for a further 3-4 hours.  Do not lift the lid for the first 2 hours of cooking time.

Serves 10-12
Prep time 15 mins
cooking time 4-5 hours using high and low. 

Enjoy

1 comment:

  1. I made this earlier. Was a winner with the family and so easy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...